Cherish Home Child Care
CHERISH Home Child Care attempts to meet the needs of children by offering supervised home child care within a family setting. Programs are designed to provide opportunities for children to participate in activities which stimulate emotional, social, physical and intellectual growth. Children with differing abilities are also provided with service where possible. Our agency attempts to match parents and children with approved Providers within the child’s own neighbourhood. A child is placed only after the Provider, Parent(s) and child(ren) have had the opportunity to meet, an interview has taken place, and all required documentation has been completed and filed with CHERISH.
Please click here to view the “Choosing Licensed Home Child Care” Video which provides information for both parents and providers.
Information for Parents
Home Child Care offers a flexible option for families seeking child care. In all of our Home Child Care sites you will find the following:
- Screened and trained Child Care Providers who attend on-going professional learning. All residents of the home over the age of 18 have provided criminal reference and vulnerable sector screens.
- A nurturing home environment which fosters positive age appropriate learning for your children which includes a daily routine of activities
- Planned outdoor play experiences including neighbourhood visits
- Nutritional menus which follow Canada’s food guide and accommodate children’s specific needs
- Homes are regularly monitored by a qualified MCRC Home Visitor who is a registered Early Childhood Educator
- Flexible days and hours of care are provided
- Smoke free homes
Licensed Home Child Care Agencies are regulated under the Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA). CHERISH Home Child Care ensures that the number of children receiving child care, including the children of the home child care provider, in each premises, does not exceed the number specified in the Act.
- Providers can care for up to a maximum of 6 children under the age of 13 years;
- Providers must count their own children under the age of 6 years and;
- Can only care of a maximum of 2 children under the age of 2.
Before placing a child, the Home Visitor would consider if the placement in the Child Care Home would provide safe accommodation for a child or any children already at the premises and would consider the following:
- The ages of the children in the group.
- Any special needs of the children in the group.
- The ability of each child to evacuate independently in an emergency.
- The experience and qualifications of the Home Child Care Provider.
- The physical environment of the home, including the total amount of distribution space in the home.
- Any children placed privately.
The maximum number of children applies regardless of the number of adults in the home.
Information for Providers
There are many benefits for becoming a Home Provider contracted with MCRC’s Licensed Home Child Care agency. Some of these benefits include:
- On-going referrals for care
- Guaranteed monthly payments
- Flexible work hours
- Professional Learning and networking opportunities
- Resources which can include equipment loans such as strollers and wagons.
- Information and program ideas to help provide challenging and stimulating activities for the children in your program
- Professional support from MCRC’s Home Visitor who is a Registered Early Childhood Educator
- Back up options available for vacation
- Guaranteed one month’s termination notice from families
News and Events
Provider’s Drop In
MCRC hosts a drop-in for CHERISH providers. This drop in is an opportunity for providers to get together and network.
Provider Appreciation Dinner
All providers are invited to dinner to celebrate National Provider Appreciation Day which is the Friday of Mother’s Day Weekend. This is our opportunity to say “thanks” and to celebrate the excellent care provided on a daily basis. Everyone enjoys the opportunity to meet, enjoy a wonderful meal together, and receive a certificate recognizing their years of Service.
For further information, please contact:
Supervisor, Early Learning & Child Care
905-876-1244 x. 220